Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Let us consider...

Inspiration for today's blog topic came to me while I was walking our two dogs this morning.  Before I get into that, let me tell you about my two little canine sidekicks.

Ginny, 8 years old, is a Fox Terrier mix that we received when she was a puppy.  Peaches is nearly 4 months old and we got her just two days before Christmas 2013.  It's been about 2 weeks now since Peaches joined our family.  And as some of you may have heard from me, the jury is still out on how Ginny feels about Peaches.

Everything we have read about bringing a new puppy into the family that contains other dogs has said to let the two work things out for themselves, as long as they are not physically hurting one another.  It has been challenging for each one of us to watch as our older dog Ginny seems to be sad or not as peppy as she once was.  It's hard to watch as Peaches tries to playfully engage with Ginny, and Ginny does not seem to really be interested.

But, we have noticed that there are moments when we see glimpses of a budding friendship, a future sisterhood.  Mostly, we see this when I take them on our daily 2 mile walk.  It begins as soon as the routine does.  They both run towards me as soon as they see me grab their harness and leash.  They stand side by side as I put on their harness and leash.  They wait together patiently as I turn on my music and unlock the front door.  They walk together, within inches of one another, as we tackle the 2 plus miles.
Coming home, they once again stand shoulder to shoulder as I remove their equipment.

Seeing Ginny and Peaches bonding over our morning walk reminds me of just how much I enjoy and rely upon my friends for encouragement and accountability.

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.  Hebrews 10:24-25

Maybe there is someone in your life that needs encouraging.  Maybe someone that you know is feeling down, or is not putting themselves first.  Maybe that person is you.  I have found that the best way for me to feel encouraged is to encourage someone else first.  When you share inspiration with others remember the first person to hear the inspiration is you, in your own heart.  

Today, pray about who in you life needs to be "spurred on toward love and good deeds." If it's a friend, call them up or send them a heartfelt message.  If it's you, know that I am praying for you today.  I am praying that today is the day that your heart feels so encouraged you can't help but do something good not only for yourself but also for others.  

Your Sole Searching Sister,
Julie




No comments:

Post a Comment