Monday, January 27, 2014

Rest



Alarm set - check.  Workout clothes laid out - check.  Water bottle in refrigerator - check.  iphone charged and ready to go - check.  New Jeff Galloway app - check!

I had the makings of a great run, ready to go.  I did not count on being up 4 times with our new puppy.  I did not count on insomnia, and only getting a few hours sleep.  So when my alarm clock went off at 5:15 a.m., I allowed myself permission to turn it off and roll over for another hour sleep.

I don't like not following through with plans that I have made.  Even the plans that involve only me, that no one else even knows about it.  I like the whole process of following through.  I feel good when I do.

I have learned though over the years, as I am sure you have learned, that things have a way of not always working out in the way in which you expected.  Have you ever heard that old phrase, "the best laid plans...?"
My curiosity got the best of me, and I did a web search to find out exactly what the rest of this phrase is and where it came from.  "The best laid plans of mice and men often go astray" comes from a poem entitled, The Mouse by Robert Burns.  It means exactly what we all thought it means - plans change, when you least expect them to.

Even though my stubborn self was not thrilled with facing the fact that I would not be going for my morning run today, I understood that perhaps this was the way it should be.  I obviously needed that extra hour sleep.  Jesus tells us in the book of Matthew...

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

With the extra sleep, I was able to rise refreshed, and spend quiet time reading my devotions and praising God for the gifts He has given me - a home, warm bed, extra quilt my grandmother's best friend made for us, hot coffee, and endless opportunities to run another day.

Fitness professionals agree that rest days are important to schedule during your week, just as important as work outs.  Be sure to take a couple of days off to allow your muscles to rest and heal.  

_________________________________________________________________________________
It's Monday! We are starting a NEW tradition today! 

Make a Deal Monday! Look at your week, and decide today what fitness goal you would like to accomplish.  Make a deal (promise) to yourself that you will work hard to accomplish it.

My Make a Deal Monday deal is - to run/walk 23 miles this week.

Post back here or on our facebook page and share your Deal.  I would love to cheer you on!

Your Sole Searching Sister,
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment