Thursday, January 2, 2014

When the days are foggy...

It was seriously foggy this morning as I set out to get my miles in.  I prepared for it by bringing my little clip-on blinking light, my cell phone, and stayed on the sidewalks.  I snapped this photo of one of the many street lamps in my neighborhood as I passed it by.  It provided comfort to me as a navigated through the dense fog.

Psalm 119:105 came to mind as I looked for each lamp on my route.

Your word is a lamp for my feet,
    a light on my path.


It got me thinking about how in life, we all experience moments where our path seem distorted by unclear direction... fog, if you will.  Just as I had to prepare myself to run in the literal fog, we too need to be prepared for those foggy times in our life.  Here in the Psalms, we read that God's Word is a lamp for our feet, a light on our path.  He will show us the way.  But we need to put in the time and effort it takes to know His word and His ways.  do you have a go-to verse? A scripture that you have memorized that when recalled instantly centers you and comforts you? Mine is Phil 4:13.  I love reading it in the different Biblical versions.  My favorite is the NIV version, I can do all this through him who gives me strength.


Taking this concept even further, here we all are; making commitments to a healthier way of life in this new year.  Again, when things get foggy, our paths unclear.. we need to be prepared.  What steps are you taking now that will assist you when the road gets rough? Here are a few that may be of value to you:


-Set a clear goal for yourself.  If you value and benefit from accountability, by all means share your goal with your family and/or friends.


-Pray for guidance.  Ask God to be with you as you venture into this healthful journey.  Give thanks for the ability to move and exercise.


-Build or join a community with the same commitment.  I cannot imagine what I would have done if I did not have Team in Training coaches and mentors in 2009 when I started my own journey.  They were a tremendous help and inspiration to me.


-Educate yourself.  There are hundreds of books, magazines, and blogs out there that will give you the ins and outs of exercise, running, and walking.  Stop by your local library to check a few out.  Get the information that will help you and give health related benefits as to why this is all worthwhile.  Sometimes we all need a reminder.


-Look upon your past, but do not dwell there.  Some people may suggest that looking back isn't beneficial or all together helpful.  I personally disagree.  I think we need to see our past mistakes so we can learn from them and vow not to make them again.  Looking back also helps us to see how far we have already come.


It's day 2 of 2014.  What can you do today to follow the light that is shining just for you?


Blessings!


Your sole searching sister,

Julie


2 comments:

  1. I set a new goal of 400 miles of walking and cycling for 2014 on New Year's Eve. I plan to pray each day for strength to continue. I am joining your Sole Searching Group today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Just read this. This is totally what God has been telling and guiding me through. His greatness is just so awesome! This is a super blog!

    ReplyDelete