Friday, February 7, 2014

...And Action!



Things we tell our kids...

-Work hard
-Always do your best
-There is nothing you cannot do, with hard work
-Don't let your fears hold you back from trying something new
-Practice makes perfect
-You can do anything you set your mind to doing

Do any of these sound familiar? If you are a parent, do you ever say these promises to your kids?

Last night, my 10 year old daughter and I watched about 45 minutes of the first televised night of the Sochi Winter Olympics.  Together we marveled at the female snowboarders as they tackled the newest event in the Winter Games - the Slope style.  This event combined snowboarding feats and tricks that I can only dream of doing.  Both my daughter and I remarked how much hard work and practice each athlete must endure to get to this level.

As I put her to bed later in the evening, she asked me, "How do you become an Olympic athlete Mom?" This opened up dialogue, which included many of the lines you read earlier, about how it takes talent, dedication, perseverance, training, and much much practice on the part of the athlete.  I finished with this, "Honey it takes action backed up by passion."

This conversation was still on my mind when I woke up this morning.  I imagined what my daughter must have dreamed about last night.  Did she have dreams of winning the gold? I hope so.  I want her to dream big!

But, I think it is important to impart to our children that while dreaming is very important, a dream cannot become a reality until we put action behind it.

What I am curious about is, why do so many of us adults forget this too?

We say we want to get a better job.  We say we want to lose 20 pounds.  We say we want to run a 5K.  we say we want to join the gym.  We say we want to join a fitness group.  The list goes on and on.

Somewhere along the way we let ourselves down.  We dreamed big dreams, but chose not to put it into action backed by our passion.

What dream or goal are you holding yourself back from reaching? Take some time today or this weekend to really figure out the reasons why.  Find inspiration, have a chat with someone in your life who has reached his/her goal.  Ask them what it took for them to start towards reaching their goal.

For me, my passion for living a healthier lifestyle and including walking and running in my everyday life - created a passion that I live out through my action.  Each time I run or walk, either solo, with our dogs, my family or friends... my passion is reignited, as well as my commitment to this lifelong goal.  In other words, my action = passion.

I leave you now with Scripture from Jeremiah 29:11
For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. 

Whether you know it yet or not, God has big plans for you.  Today, make choices that will further the goal/dream that you have hidden in your heart.  Doing so will encourage and inspire your children and those around you to do so, without saying a word.  

...And ACTION!

Your Sole Searching Sister,
Julie

*I would love to hear how you took action today to further reach you to your dream/goal! Post back here!


No comments:

Post a Comment