Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Being seen



One of the most important pieces of equipment I use when I run or walk in the early mornings is a little blinky light that I clip on my shoe.  This blinky light gives me some reassurance that oncoming traffic should be able to see me in the darkness.  "Being seen" as I venture out in the dark early hours of the day is of the utmost importance.

"Being seen" is often listed as one of the most basic of human needs.  We all have the desire to be seen, heard, and validated.  Often, we look to friends, family, co workers, and others for that validation.

Today, I want to explore the value and importance of seeing ourselves.  There are seasons in our lives where we get so busy with the tasks and activities of our every day lives, that we do not take the time to really examine our own feelings.

Over the past few months many people that I see on a weekly basis have made the comment to me, "Julie, you look tired." Seriously, it seems I hear this from someone at work at least two to three times a week.  My reply has always been the same, "I am tired."

Finally, in the last week or so, I really paid attention to what others were saying, and what I myself was saying... I am tired.  "Yeah, so who isn't," was my first thought.  But then I allowed myself to really look deeper at my daily routine and habits, as well as my responsibilities.  I have two part time jobs, a husband, a daughter, and am also a part time student.  I have very little free time, and the time I do have I spend running or walking in the wee early hours of the morning.

I realized that I needed to start listening to my body - go to bed a bit earlier than I normally would, squeeze in an hour of homework after I get off work, before picking up my daughter, instead of doing a load of laundry, etc.  I needed to put my health first.  Sleep is healthy, we all need it.  This is not happening overnight, but I am making great strides.

Being conscious of what our own bodies are telling us about our health is of the highest value.  Ignoring signs of potential problems or issues is never good.  Are you tired? Are you bloated? Are you easily fatigued? Today, really put yourself first by listening and seeing what your body is telling you.  Usually the answer to these issues is right in front of us.  We just need to look and see.

When was the last time you really paid attention to what your body, mind, and spirit were saying to you?

Love yourself enough to truly see, all that you are, and all that you can be.

Your Sole Searching Sister,
Julie

Never violate the sacredness of your individual self-respect. -Theodore Parker

No comments:

Post a Comment