Monday, March 3, 2014

Feeling Motivated?

  I have been feeling very grateful for the connections I have made with friends that are like minded and are dedicated to a healthier life.  Some of them I meet weekly to walk, others I have never met, but follow their journey on facebook.  Do these people inspire me? Absolutely yes!

Over the weekend, I had some time to really think.  I gave a lot of thought to what motivates me and what seems to motivate my friends and family.  Where does our motivation truly come from? For those that get up time after time, put on their running/walking shoes and hit the pavement... what motivates them to do that?

Is it self discipline? Drive? Seeing results? Wanting to see results? Stubbornness? Dedication? Or is it some combination of these?

I can only answer this question for myself.  Personally what motivates me is very simple.  It feels good.  I could say that I do it day in day out for my health, hopefully adding years to my life.  And I do! But is that the first thought that I have when my alarm goes off at 4:20 a.m. every morning? Not necessarily.

Before I really started on this journey, I watched others who did not seem to struggle with this lifestyle.  From the outside looking in, it seemed easy.  I know now, that it is not easy for anyone.

What motivates me? It feels good.  It feels good to do something that just 5 short years ago, I never ever thought I could.  It feels good to be done after a run or walk.  It feels good to know that I made a commitment to myself and followed through.  It feels good to know that a promise I made (that was made to me and me alone) has been made good.  It feels good to step outside, breathe in the fresh air, and maybe just maybe beat my time from the day before.  It just feels good.

This is what I think of and force myself to remember as I stumble in to bed at midnight after doing 9 hours of Algebra homework, and think.. "ooh I forgot to lay out my running clothes, get back up girl." This is what I remember when my breathing is labored, and I wonder why I am not still in bed like everyone else? This is what I hold onto morning after morning.

I have learned that I can read blogs, fitness quotes, see those funny ecard pics, get running advice from others, etc.  but only I can truly every really motivate myself to do it.

My prayer today is that if you have found your motivation that you never lose it, that you hold tight to it and continue your path with success and good health.  If you are looking for motivation, I pray that today is the day that you realize that you do not have to look any further than within.. and that you be that for yourself in love.

Your Sole Searching Sister,
Julie


No comments:

Post a Comment